Equine Veterinary and Dental Services (EVDS) is:
- An equine-only veterinary practice which caters for preventative and elective procedures — such as dentistry, stud work, lamenesses, foot problems, skin disease, eyes, branding.
- Located on a 60 acre property at South Grafton.
- Two vets attend to client cases throughout our servicing area.
- We are also the leading training centre in Australia for equine vets wanting to learn and master equine dentistry.
The objectives of EVDS are to:
- Maintain the highest possible standards by focussing on only one species — the horse.
- Provide first class comprehensive equine veterinary services in the Clarence Valley and surrounding areas.
- Continue our passion to help to promote and teach equine dentistry to other professionals around Australia and the world - in order to aim for greater welfare in the horse.
- Continue to service clients outside of Grafton, including Coffs Harbour, Bellingen and north to the border, who seek the services of vets who only treat horses.
- Conduct more seminars for local horse owners — similar to the reproduction seminar in 1999, the equine dentistry/parasite seminar in 2003, and the two held in 2009.
- Continue to grow and develop our service as a 1st class equine vet practice — which will help support existing industry and also to attract more equine owners and trainers to the area.
The discipline of equine dentistry involves the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of equine dental conditions and diseases that affect the oral cavity and jaws. It has always been an integral component of equine veterinary practice. It certainly is not just the rasping of horses' teeth. This article covers the correct practice of equine dentistry as performed by equine dental veterinarians.
The Veterinary Practice Regulation 2006 (NSW), which commenced on 1 September 2006, provides that certain dental procedures on horses are restricted acts of veterinary science. These include any dental procedure that involves the following...